Japanese - English WRITING / TRANSLATION for Art and Culture
Tamayo Samejima has extensive knowledge in art, especially Japanese traditional art. She is a writer and translator with a national qualification as an art curator and has over 17 years of experience in writing and translation. She has been involved in numerous audio guide projects for museums, has written and translated for art exhibitions, exhibition catalogues, art books, learning tools as well as articles for magazines and websites. As a Sumi-e ink painter, she has had several solo shows and performances internationally, and has conducted painting classes online.
NHK Promotion, The Yomiuri Shimbun, The Asahi Shimbun, Bunka Gakuen Costume Museum, KADOKAWA, Kodansha, Tankosha, PIE International, Acoustiguide, etc.
Tamayo graduated in Art Studies and Art History at Gakushuin University, and studied abroad at Camberwell College of Arts, London, UK. She worked for a global company making audio guides for museums and historical sites for 6 years till 2012, and has worked as a freelance writer and translator since then. Her work experience covers a wide range of areas such as Japanese Traditional Arts and Cultures (Nihonga, Sumi-e, Ukiyo-e and more), Buddhism and Shintoism Arts, Calligraphy, Archaic Civilizations, Western Classical and Modern Arts, Contemporary Arts, Ceramics and Photography.
1. To share the healing power of art and creativity.
2. To highlight cross-cultural influences in art, both current and historical. Specifically, to showcase the influences relating to Japanese art.
My intention is to show the connection spanning all cultures and the importance of mutual respect to create inspiration.
3. To shed light on the merits of historical art collectors to increase art supporters today.
4. To promote art created by current and historical minority groups into the mainstream.
Education • Art History and Art Study of Japanese and Asian Art, Gakushuin University, Tokyo, BA
• University of the Arts London, Camberwell College of Arts, UK
Certificate • National qualification for Art Curator
• TOEIC Score: 950
Book translation JAPANESE GARDENS: KYOTO