- Art is a means for survival by Yoko Ono -
I believe in the power of art which empowers people to make a better world.
Weekly art column▶ 'A beginner's gude to Japanese art'
Graduated in Art Studies and Art History at Gakushuin University, studied abroad at Camberwell College of Arts, UK. As art writer and translator, Tamayo is experienced in making art museum audio guides, authoring art columns, and translating art books. She is also a Sumie painter, and chair of an Ink wash painting school. Her items are avilable online at Etsy. During her first year of university she was enchanted with the work of Kaō, a Japanese Zen monk painter of the 14th century, and began training under the sumi-e master Sōu Meguro. While studying abroad in England she launched her own brand of sumi-e painted clothing, “Tamayo”, sold through Shibuya Seibu, Laforet Harajuku, hpfrance, and tomorrowland, and exhibited in a well-known fashion exhibition “rooms”. Other works include:
• Sumi-e kimono for Tackey & Tsubasa promotional video
• Solo exhibitions in Germany (2012) and America (2013)
• Sumi-e performance in the 2015 “Whenever Wherever Festival white”
• 2016 works exhibited in Shinjuku Isetan and Shinjuku Takashimaya
• 2017&2018 collaborated with fashion brand “Little Eagle” on a sumi-e painted dress, exhibited in Osaka’s Daimaru Museum and all across Japan
• 2017&2018 September issues of “Otoko no Kakurega” magazine (Sumi-e class featured), and Sei-en magazine (cover art).
• 2017 TV appearance on an evening news program in Kansai area, Japan.
• 2018 Solo exhibition at UPLINK Gallery, Shibuya, Tokyo October 17-29